[x264-devel] core i5 2x00

Jason Garrett-Glaser darkshikari at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 19:11:48 CEST 2010

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 1:39 AM, Jure Pečar <pegasus at nerv.eu.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Intel is promising some very interesting enhancements both for decoding and *encoding* (of h264?) in their future "sandy bridge" based CPUs. See:
> http://www.anandtech.com/show/3922/intels-sandy-bridge-architecture-exposed/6
>
> I postponed a decision to get a new video editing machine after I saw this :)
>
> My question: would x264 code need to be adapted to use this piece of hardware? How complex would the change be?

x264 is a software encoder.  Having it "use" a hardware encoder would
be like having a Toyota Prius "use" a Honda Civic to go faster.
They're two different, separate things.

The only numbers I've seen for their hardware encoder put it at
roughly 5 times slower than x264, making it useless.  Of course, the
only numbers I've seen were from someone who thinks that "downscaling
a 1080p video to play on an iPod" is a valid test, so...

Dark Shikari