[x264-devel] Found NALU with forbidden_bit set

declan harrison harrison.declan at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 16:33:18 CEST 2010

Hi Jason

Thanks for your input, much appreciated.  I have no real knowledge of
the H264 internals, though I have been reading up on some specific
areas related to NALs, extradat etc.

Its just that this error is reported by H264Visa  at the same point in
the video were VLC bombs out of playing it back.  VLC debug error is
"AVC: nal size -1706550745".  Is this purely coincidental?

So do I need to send more than one AVCDecoderConfigurationRecord to
the client/player to decode once I switch stream coder mid-stream for
H264?  When I do  try and send a second  AVCDecoderConfigurationRecord
packet the VLC player thinks its end of stream and stops.   Do I need
to reset the extrdata on the H264 packets also here in the muxer.

Im  trying to understand why the player is unable to decode this content.

Declan