[x264-devel] Number of bits in a macroblock.

Andrew Jackson alj at twintechnologies.co.uk
Wed Sep 29 19:48:46 CEST 2010

The H.264 appendix A.3.1, item n, says that the number of bits in a
macroblock should not be greater than 3200 for profiles baseline,
constrained baseline, main or extended.  Does x264 enforce this
restriction?

The reason for asking is that I've been fiddling with x264 for a project
and the stream exceeding the permitted number of bits in a macroblock.
Is this because I've misconfigured the encoder settings or just that
this restriction isn't enforced?  It /appears/ that the decoder to which
I'm sending the stream gets upset.

	Andrew