[x264-devel] About multithreads

Steven Walters kemuri9 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 16:16:36 CEST 2011

multithreading occurs in libx264 and in x264cli

1)
x264cli only supports 1 thread, which it uses for yuv/raw, y4m, and
avisynth input.
libx264 currently supports up to 128 encoder threads (which are either
frame-based or slice-based) and 1 lookahead thread

2)
--disable-thread

3)
not without altering x264cli

x264cli's threading is not really simultaneous reading, it's more to
reduce the amount that main() blocks on reading input frames, which is
relevant for slow avisynth input scripts or slow I/O period for
raw/y4m input.
When x264cli reads frame 0, it then requests that frame 1 be read in a
thread while libx264 processing occurs on frame 0.
x264cli then waits on frame 1 being read before starting to read frame
2 in a thread.

So i don't see how this methodology is causing you problems to where
you only want to disable x264cli's threading.