[x264-devel] Adding encryption to x264...

Peter Tap ptrtap at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 21 18:32:54 CEST 2011

Folks,

For the project that I am working on, I need to add encryption to x264 data in mp4 file. When the file is opened in vlc, I need to decrypt the data. I am trying to understand what is the best way to accomplish on-the-fly decryption.

1. Write a new decoder module that internally uses x264 decoder.
2. Somehow hook into x264's decoder to provider decryption at the end of the decoding.

The encryption by itself may not be a big issue. To start with, I am going to use a simple algorithm where the size of the block does not change after the encryption.

I would appreciate your advice on the best way to accomplish this.

Regards,
Peter