[x264-devel] cabac.c standards compliance patch.

Lucas, Will Will.Lucas at dynetics.com
Mon Dec 19 19:52:32 CET 2011

Hi,

I am currently working with x264 to generate standards compliant h.264 video; however, I have run into an issue with what appears to be a watermarking technique. Several of my video validation tools were detecting a problem with the rbsp_alignment_zero_bit not always being equal to 0 (as is required by the standard). I found this thread (http://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/x264-devel/2009-March/005754.html), which lead led me to the area of code that needed "correction".

After applying my attached patch, my validation tools didn't utter a peep about this non-compliance, so it appears to work. If this is a watermarking technique (quite a clever one I must admit), is there somewhere else in the stream it can be placed (e.g., maybe the Picture Layer->User Data or similar) such that standards compliance is maintained?

Thanks!
Will