[x264-devel] X264 to iPad

Avi Shvartz avishvartz1 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 24 15:28:52 CET 2011

Hello list,
I am new in this list so please forgive me if my question is not inline with the
list. Purpose:
- Transmit a Power Point presentation, both slides and movies, or other video
resources such as TV, DVD etc..
via WiFi to ~20iPads within a meeting room .
Note: the presenter is in the same room , so the delay between the presentation
show on the PC

and the display on the iPads should be minimal.
Problem:
- A ~30sec delay between the video changes on the PC and the appearance on the
iPads.

Topology:
- PC XP with power point/movies.
- 100MHZ TCP/IP connection to a video streamer machine.
- Video streamer machine:
     - i7950 cpu.
     - 4GB memory.
     - 2xSSD (one for the operating system and one for the video capture card).
     - Video capture card : SKYDIGITAL CAPTUREX-X
     - Operating system: most updated WIN7 professional.
     - Microsoft Expression Encoder 4 pro: version 4.0.1639.0
     - IIS 7.
- WiFi : Two Access points 802.11n (for high availability and avoiding bandwidth
problems)
   configured with WPA2-Entreprise.
- iPad: 4.2.1

Taxonomy:
- From brief analysis it seems that most of the delay is in the Expression
Encoder side.

Some questions:
- Can the Expression Encoder be replaced with X264 software?
Note: iPad use - Any other ideas ?
Thank you very much for your kind help
Avi"Apple Live HTTP Streaming protocol"as explained in:
http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#documentation/networkinginternet/conceptual/streamingmediaguide/HTTPStreamingArchitecture/HTTPStreamingArchitecture.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40008332-CH101-SW2