[x264-devel] X264 to iPad

Dennis Munsie dmunsie at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 02:44:09 CET 2011

I'm not familiar with the specifics of the Microsoft Expression encoder, but even if you were to get a gain in encoding speed from x264, HTTP live streaming is going to introduce some latency of it's own.  There are some buffering requirements in HLS that are not negotiable -- you need to make sure there are at least N number of buffers available before starting the stream, the buffers have to be at least N seconds long.  I don't have the specific numbers in front of me, but the Internet draft has the details (http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-pantos-http-live-streaming-05).  I recall that you might be able to get it down to around 10 seconds or so, but that might off by a bit.

Also while the server can control how many segments it has available on the server and how long those segments are, there is no control over when the client chooses to start streaming the content.  So those 20 iPads will all have slightly different places they will be at in regards to presentation time.  So if you are trying to keep them synchronized, that will have it's own problems.

HLS is really better suited for situations where latency isn't a priority.  Since it's based on TCP, it has to be able to smooth out any network jitter that might arise by packets being dropped.  And as soon as you start adding buffers to smooth out jitter, you start increasing the latency.

If latency is a huge issue, you might want to start looking for other solutions tailored more for this kind of problem rather than trying to force HLS into a role that it wasn't meant for.

dennis