[x264-devel] DASH Streaming

Stefan Lederer ledererstefan at gmx.at
Tue Jul 19 12:03:06 CEST 2011

Hi,

I'm working on the content generation for DASH (Dynamic Adaptive Streaming
over HTTP).
For this it is important to have fixed I-Frame positions, because the stream
is split up to file of e.g. 2 seconds.

Therefore I encode content using this parameter:

x264 --profile baseline --preset slow --verbose --psnr --vbv-maxrate 300
--vbv-bufsize 600 --scenecut 0 --keyint 48 --output foreman_cif_300kbit.h264
foreman_cif.y4m

In this case I have quite big PSNR-peaks at the I-Frame Positions (gop-size
48). How could I reduce this peaks?

To give you a better view I attached a PSNR comparison between my encoding
(see above), an two pass CBR (--bitrate 300 --ratetol 1.0) encoding, and an
VBV encoding without fixed GOP size.

Thx for help!

Greetings
Stefan