[x264-devel] DASH Streaming

Stefan Lederer lederer at bitmovin.net
Tue Jul 19 14:33:05 CEST 2011

> You should be using --tune psnr so that x264 optimises for PSNR.
> (Recent versions of x264 will warn).
> --scenecut 0 is also unnecessary - as far as I know DASH doesn't care
> about non-keyframe I-frames.

Okay, I tried --tune psnr and got better PSNR values, but still those peaks
at the I frames. How can I get a better quality for the P-Frames?

In my opinion I need -scenecut 0 to guarantee that the GOP/DASH-Segment size
is always 48 frames/2 seconds. For the segmentation I need a keyframe every
48 frames (2 sec. segments/24 fps) to generate the DASH-Segments, which is
not guaranteed if -scenecut 0 and --keyint 48 is not set. I need those
keyframes at the beginning of each segment to switch between segments with
different resolution. Do you thinks this is a wrong approach?

Thx!
Stefan