[x264-devel] - Help in calculation of PSNRs -

sandeep mk mk.sndp at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 19:19:41 CET 2011

Hi,

I am a newbie to x264. I had two questions regarding the PSNRs in H.264.

1. I have an 8 bit .yuv input file input to the x264 encoder which gives me
an 8 bit encoded stream. This encoded stream is decoded by a 8 bit decoder
and lets call the output as 'Stream 1'. Next, I have a 10 bit .yuv input
file input to the x264 encoder which gives me an 10 bit encoded stream and
is further decoded by a 10 bit decoder. Lets call this stream as 'Stream 2'.
My question is how do we compare the PSNRs of 'Stream 1' and 'Stream 2' or
what is the best was of comparing the quality of the streams 1 and 2.

2. My second question is how is PSNR calculated between an 8 bit .yuv input
file encoded using 10 bit-x264 (in High10 profile) and the 10 bit .yuv
output file decoded from 10 bit h264 decoder.

Thanks,
Sandeep