[x264-devel] x264 on MSVC

Steven Walters kemuri9 at gmail.com
Sat May 21 15:45:32 CEST 2011

"did not work" and "does not work" are the vaguest errors in
existence, learn how to report issues.

Anyway, there are a few ways to use x264 in conjunction with MSVC:
1) building x264 dlls with MinGW and having MSVC link against these.
2) building x264 with Windows Intel Compiler (where Intel Compiler's
generated code is MSVC compatible and can be directly linked against
in MSVC)
3) building x264 static library with MinGW and having MSVC link
against this (x86 only)
4) Direct264

For 1)
As indicated in the official webpage, there is a known issue with the
import libraries that MinGW creates.
You needed to create your own import libraries with MSVC and use these
to link against the MinGW built dll.
How did you generate the export definition (.def) file to use with
MSVC's lib tool to generate a .lib?

For 2)
There are basic instructions on how to build x264 with Intel's Compiler...

For 3)
This route is generally the least taken, due to the fact you will need
to have a decent number of MinGW libraries linked against in MSVC to
get it to actually link, and it primarily only works for x86.
IMO This is generally too much to deal with for someone unexperienced
in doing it, so i will not continue to describe it.

For 4)
Direct264 is an independent port of x264, the primary x264 developers
do not support it in any fashion, you will need to go to the Direct264
developer(s) about issues with it.