[x264-devel] X264 commercial licensing question

Aditya Kadambi aditya at yuney.com
Tue Sep 27 17:45:15 CEST 2011

Hello x264 developers;

I had a question about the commercial licensing for X264. I am referring to
this email and contacting this list per instructions in that email:

http://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/x264-devel/2010-July/007508.html

This email clearly states that there is no fee for doing server side
encoding (non-redistributable).

We are looking at using x264 library on the client side. We clearly
understand the licensing fee/structure per the above email.

However, I came across this site:

http://x264licensing.com/

Which talks about server/LAN/cloud licensing. Per the original email, I
thought the pricing was:

Price = X264 commercial license fee + Patent license fee from MPEG LA.

However, from the above website, it looks like:

Price = X264 commercial license fee + any encoding done on server side using
x264 even if it is not redistributed + Patent license fee from MPEG LA.

 Is this true?

I cannot find any relationship between X264 LLC and the above website.
Apparently, it belongs to a company called Corecodec.

http://corecodec.com.

According to them, they manage the licensing for X264.

I am confused at this point and need clarification on the price/license.

Thanks,
Aditya