[x264-devel] x264 Development Newsletter: Vol. 28

Jason Garrett-Glaser jason at x264.com
Wed Apr 4 19:30:16 CEST 2012

On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 10:26 AM, aviad rozenhek <aviadr1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 05:19, Jason Garrett-Glaser <jason at x264.com> wrote:
>>
>> This is the twenty-eighth x264 development newsletter. This is a
>> [..]
>

>> Upcoming:
>>
>> Google Code-In is done, but a bunch of NEON assembly still needs review.
>>
>> x262 is under development: a best-in-class MPEG-2 encoder built using
>> the x264 framework.  It works well enough to be vaguely usable now,
>> but is still highly experimental and needs more work -- developers
>> welcome!
>>
>> Jason Garrett-Glaser
>>
>> The x264 Team
>

> <shamelss_flattery>
> Dear developers of the best h264 codec in the world,
> </shamelss_flattery>
>
> its been a month since your last x264 development newsletter, the mailing
> list hardly contains information regarding future and current developments
> anymore ... :-(

That's because discussion has pretty much always been on #x264dev IRC, not here.

> would you entertain a few questions to spark discussion?
>
> 1. is x264 likely to (significantly) improve in terms of bits/quality
> efficiency?

If someone comes up with good enough new ideas!  But it's a lot harder
than it used to be and a lot of the improvements in the pipeline are
not so general-purpose (e.g. OpenCL lookahead).

> 2. is x264 likely to get (noticeably) faster for existing intel desktop
> processors like Bloomfield or Lynnfield?

Unlikely, but I said that before Loren optimized trellis too.

> 3. adaptive bitrate has become very important, and with it, synchronized
> GOPs across encodes in different bitrates.
> this is currently supported in x264 by using fixed sized GOPs. what are your
> thoughts regarding a more content-aware approach?

x264 supports this with adaptive GOP too; all encodes with the same
lookahead settings and the same source will give the same distribution
of frame types, no matter what the bitrate.

> 4. what are you thoughts regarding the upcoming HEVC/H265 standard, and will
> there be an x265?

I don't know, are you offering to write one? =P

Jason