[x264-devel] Opaque pointer for nalu processing?

Killian De Smedt killiands at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 18:06:24 CEST 2012

On 7 August 2012 18:00, Jason Garrett-Glaser <jason at x264.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 4:59 AM, Killian De Smedt <killiands at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Today I tried to setup my encoding system using nalu_process to handle
> NAL
> > unit encoding and transmission. However, my application can handle
> multiple
> > (dynamic) streams, but I have no way to differentiate between them in the
> > actual nalu_process call. After some discussion on IRC it turned out I
> could
> > only do this by creating a new function per stream. While I can use this
> as
> > a workaround (nr of streams = low), this does seem like a dirty solution
> and
> > it leads to code bloat because I have to create systems to allocate
> streams
> > to a static callback.
>
> Have you tried using the x264_t pointer to indicate, or is that too
> hacky? I'd be happy to add an extra way if that wasn't enough, but I'd
> like to know why that isn't sufficient first.

I thought of this also (mapping the x264 pointer to my stream), but someone
on IRC (BugMaster) told me that the x264_t pointer I receive in
nalu_process could differ from the main one used to call encoder_encode,
due to worker threads. If this is not the case and this value uniquely
identifies my stream, this solution would be sufficient for me.

Thank you,

Killian