[x264-devel] Bit stuffing/padding

Jason Garrett-Glaser jason at x264.com
Wed Aug 8 11:10:44 CEST 2012

On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 11:20 PM, Tim Pitman <tapitman11 at gmail.com> wrote:
> So when x264 writes to the pipe it doesn't wait until it has a
> complete NALU before writing?

x264 doesn't know what a pipe is; it simply writes NAL units to a
file. The OS keeps an internal pipe buffer; pipes are not instant,
magical synchronous things. You're not guarantee to get complete NAL
units out of the buffer, even if complete NAL units go in. This is how
pipes work and has literally nothing to do with x264, nor could x264
change this if it wanted.

> I've been considering switching to using libx264 directly but my
> source is a webcam that I'm using ffmpeg to read so I would have to
> implement libavformat/libavcodec on that side as well. Is there a
> better way to get webcam data into x264?

The webcam is probably just using v4l, so I assume you could just call
that, or use libav's v4l stuff.

Jasosn