[x264-devel] libx264 for Blackfin?

Måns Rullgård mans at mansr.com
Fri Aug 10 13:18:17 CEST 2012

Harald Krapfenbauer <harald.krapfenbauer at bluetechnix.com> writes:

>> which sounds quite useful. But I doubt that any of these instructions will
>> currently be used by x264, so you will need to write all these
>> optimizations for yourself.
>
> That is want I want to know, if there are plans to implement this,
> like it has been for NEON, ALTIVEC, etc.

Blackfin-specific optimisations are probably the least of your worries
for running x264 on a Blackfin.  The big problem is lack of MMU, making
memory fragmentation a real concern.  As x264 is not written with this
in mind, I would expect it to run into trouble fairly quickly.  Another
problem is gcc generating rather abysmal, and frequently outright wrong,
Blackfin code.

Before you proceed further, I would suggest you try to build x264 for
your Blackfin system and check whether it runs at all, and if it does,
what performance you get.  Hand-optimising can probably double that
number, but no more.

--
Måns Rullgård
mans at mansr.com