[x264-devel] Max bitrate vs hrd buffersize

Ran Shalit ranshalit at gmail.com
Sat Dec 22 09:48:23 CET 2012

On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 7:01 PM, Kieran Kunhya <kieran at kunhya.com> wrote:

> > I would like to ask if max bitrate is determined according to hrd
> buffersize
>
> Loosely speaking, the max bitrate is your channel capacity, e.g. internet
> speed of user, bandwidth on satellite multiplex etc.
> Buffer size relates to the amount of buffering the playback device
> performs. The larger the buffer the larger the wait. The wait can be
> calculated using
> bufsize/maxrate.
>
> Both these parameters are restricted by the Level in Annex A and by other
> playback device restrictions.
>
> When we use VBR, the bit rate can move around the target avergae bit rate.
I a interesed in knowing if I can control or know what is the maximum bit
rate in case of VBR. Is it right to say that this bandwidth which is
determined by buffer size is same as maximum bit rate, or is this that
maxbitrate & VBV/HRD buffersize are different parameters/comcepts, i.e.
what is the maximum bitrate in case of VBR ?

Thank you very much,
Ran