[x264-devel] Constant QP with VBV

Jason Garrett-Glaser jason at x264.com
Sun Feb 12 17:37:38 CET 2012

> I came across xsplit documation who claims to do with x264 exactly what I
> want to do:

Where in that does it say the word "QP"?  I certainly don't see it.

> I want to encode videos with constant QP and maximum frame size. I don't
> care about average bitrate. CRF does not meet the target QP I requested.

I do not see the purpose of a "target QP" outside of encoder testing.
--qp is a developer-option only and should never be used for any
serious purpose, with the exception of --qp 0 (lossless).  Constant QP
is not constant quality and should [almost] never be used.

What Xsplit does, and what is recommended, is --crf + VBV.

Jason