[x264-devel] Generating H264 for iPad?

Hadmut Danisch hadmut at danisch.de
Thu Feb 23 14:42:12 CET 2012

On 22.02.2012 19:36, Reindl Harald wrote:

> "man ffmpeg" for your current version

my current version's (0.7.3 of ubuntu 11.11) does not say anything
obvious about that. It just has some x264 profiles which are sets of
parameters without telling whether these are some official profiles or
some arbitrary presets of parameters. Furthermore, some webpages have
warnings about the fact that ffmpeg-params differ from libx264 params
and somehow „translate” them.

> BASELINE and do not forget "qt-faststart" (google) to allow start of
> playing web-videos without download them before completly

The manpage of ffmpeg does not even contain the word baseline, and the
manpage for qt-faststart says it's used for Quicktime files in .mov
format, not h264 in .avi.

That discussion seems to be somewhat ridiculous. There are at least four
partys involved, i.e. ubuntu maintainers, two ffmpeg branches, and
libx264, and noone can give any helpful answer, they all are telling to
ask another of these four parties.

Could anyone please be more specific about which version of libx264 and
which parametes it takes? Hints like "manpage of your version" are
rather useless.

regards
Hadmut