[x264-devel] vaapi ??

Jason Garrett-Glaser jason at x264.com
Thu Jul 26 05:47:51 CEST 2012

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 7:32 PM, Sean Darcy <seandarcy2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm using x264 to encode on an i3 sandybridge laptop. This is an
> underpowered machine for the task.
>
> vaapi would allow use of the gpu for encoding:
>
> vainfo
> libva: VA-API version 0.33.0
> vainfo: VA-API version: 0.33 (libva 1.1.0)
> vainfo: Driver version: Intel i965 driver - 1.0.18
> vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
>       VAProfileMPEG2Simple            : VAEntrypointVLD
>       VAProfileMPEG2Main              : VAEntrypointVLD
>       VAProfileH264Baseline           : VAEntrypointVLD
>       VAProfileH264Baseline           : VAEntrypointEncSlice
>       VAProfileH264Main               : VAEntrypointVLD
>       VAProfileH264Main               : VAEntrypointEncSlice
>       VAProfileH264High               : VAEntrypointVLD
>       VAProfileH264High               : VAEntrypointEncSlice
>
> Is there any way to have x284 use vaapi?

x264 is a video encoder, Intel QuickSync (as available through libva)
is a different video encoder. x264 can't "use" libva in much the same
way that a Toyota can't "use" a Ford. If you're using libva, you're
not using x264, much like if you're driving a Ford, you're not driving
a Toyota.

QuickSync also isn't GPU-powered, it's a dedicated hardware encoder.

Jason