[x264-devel] Forcing max frame size

Yoav Weiss yoav.weiss.fr at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 17:02:15 CET 2012

Hi,

First I'd like to point out that I'm a real noob in everything related to
video encoding, so please forgive my ignorance :)

I am trying to encode a video using x264 so that every frame will have a
maximal size it cannot exceed. I've tried using the i_slice_max_size
parameter, but it doesn't seem to actually guaranty a maximal size.
I've also tried to use single frame VBV (i.e. VBV max rate + a buffer size
that is equal to max rate divided by fps), which approximately achieves
this, but there are cases where frames exceed the maximal size I wanted to
give them.

Is there somewhere in the code where it is logical and/or possible to force
such a limitation? Any existing parameters I overlooked?

Thanks!