[x264-devel] x264-devel Digest, Vol 58, Issue 15

neve_capricorn at gmx.de neve_capricorn at gmx.de
Tue Mar 20 12:27:43 CET 2012

Hi Edward,

i red a lot that users want to boost encoding with the marketing hype CUDA.

I follow the cuda video development since 2 years, every XX month i
found new crap about speeding up h.264/x.264 with cuda. The most news i
found is marketing bla bla..The manufactors are writing 40x realtime
encoding, yeah..nice..but in what resolution, in what encoding h2.64 and
bitrate, you will never kind these detailed specification in their flyer :)

I can say for sure that when you have the same settings in x264 and cuda
(elementary or nvidia own libs), cuda is not faster by the same quality
output.

I never have seen an good solution about the major problem that came
with pararell motion detection.

The second problem people often think is that for speedig up their video
process is the encoding part, but that is also not true.

When your mpeg-2 source for example has an single-threaded decoder, you
got here then your bottle-neck.

When you want to scale your content from 1980 to 640, then your scaler
must also be very fast.

As you can see, your complete pipeline must have very optimize.

What i do in our in-house encoding setup is:
Use Nvidia Internal public API for decoding h2.64 or mpeg2, then i use
an multi-threaded scaler from the libAV project, x264 for encoding. For
ts muxing i used an commercial library.

Another problem i have with Nvidia is the coast of power. Dont get me
wrong, the nvidia are great gfx cards, but i pay about 300 euros every
month only for powering the cards 24/7 on.

After 4 Month i had 2 issues with heating problems, cause the cards
produce a lot of heat when they run 80-90% of their core power.

Right now i try to test some ARM developer boards for an cheap cluster
encoding with green-power technology.

Let the community know when you have found some results about cuda.

Gary

Message: 2 Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 10:37:16 -0700 From: Edward Richards
<edward at edwardandalison.com> To: "'Mailing list for x264 developers'"
<x264-devel at videolan.org> Subject: Re: [x264-devel] H264 and cuda
http://x264gpu.sourceforge.net/