[x264-devel] Low resolution reference pictures

saritha reddy saritha84 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 03:09:51 CEST 2012

Hi,

I've just started tracing the x264 source code. I'm still trying to
understand the complete code flow. I see that a reference picture for a
given current picture is divided into four low resolution luma pictures
using an interpolation technique. How is it fetched or handled in inter
prediction? Is it not easier to perform block matching search method on a
full resolution picture? What's the benefit of having them as four separate
low resolution pictures? Can someone please clarify this for me?

Thanks
Saritha