[x264-devel] Dual 6-core encoding problem in ABR mode

Steve Li steve.li at digitalrapids.com
Wed May 16 19:56:41 CEST 2012

Hi all,

I am having problem encoding with my machine. It has 2 physical processors (Westmere 6-core xeon). With hyper-threading enabled, it has a total of 24 physical + logical processors. Basically I am encoding 1920x1080p24, i_rc_method set to 2 (ARB). If I leave the variable i_threads to 0, the encoding fails within the first few frames (x264_encoder_encode() returns a negative number).

If I set i_threads to something like 16, the encoding is fine. If I change the frame size to SD (i.e. 720x480), its also fine. Changing i_rc_method to 1 (rate control) is also fine.

Your help is appreciated. This is my first post. If I am on the wrong forum, please let me know.

Steve