[x264-devel] Real Time encoding

Denio Mariz deniomariz at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 15:47:28 CET 2012

I would like to capture video from a source (IP stream or TV capture),
encode it to H.264 save into a file. However, I would like to do this
in *real time*, that is, the time it should take to encode must be
very short.
I am trying to evaluate how to do this by software using x264. Of
course, it depends on the video atributes from the source and on the
hardware available to run the x264.

Assuming that the video source have always the same attributes, the
problem is to dimension the required CPU (processing power and number
of CPUs) in order to get to get the task done in real time. Am I
correct?

I have N processors (CPU cores) available, is it possible to
distribute (parallelize) the processing of one video over those N
processors? If yes, could somenoe give an example of how this could be
done, for example, using x264 command for an input file?

Thanks
Denio Mariz