[x264-devel] flushing x264 - allowed in the middle of encoding?

Philipp B philippb at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 18:07:11 CET 2012

Hi!

My question might sound a bit strange, but here it is:

Id like to flush the decoders delayed frames in the middle of my encoded
movie.
The movie is encoded with forced keyframes at particular positions. For
some reason, I'd like to flush
the delayed frames before these forced keyframes are encoded.

I know how to flush x264 with NULL packets, however, I'm not sure if i can
still use the encoder for real
frames afterwards. And, even more important: If this is supported, I'm
still concerned that x264 behaviour
will change in this situation, as this is really a strange use case.

So, I'd like to know, if x264 supports being flushed in the middle of
encoding, and if this behaviour is expected
to be changed some day.

Im aware that this will always affect things like quality of rate control.

Thanks

Philipp Beyer