[x264-devel] Verify VBV compliance in x264

Karthick Kumar karthik1990r at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 08:54:06 CET 2012

I would like to control the bandwidth in my live streaming application
through vbv-maxrate parameter. Suppose if i give vbv-maxrate as 3 Mbps,
then how will I verify that the bitrate doesn't exceed the 3Mbps.
I tried using x264.exe to encode a sample video with vbv-maxrate and
vbv-bufsize parameters. The resultant bitrate printed by the encoder after
encoding is not always below the vbv-maxrate value. It exceeds vbv-maxrate
for some vbv-bufsize values. Why is it so? Am i doing anything wrong here?

Thanks in advance....