[x264-devel] Possible bug

Steven Walters kemuri9 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 05:07:21 CEST 2012

On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 5:44 PM, Wrinkled Cheese
<wrinkledcheese at gmail.com> wrote:
> So you're saying the libx264 configure script automatically decided I wanted
> to do all this linking to ffmpeg/libmp3lame?  As you can tell from the
> options in my post, nothing I explicitly told the libx264 configure script
> to do was even remotely linked to ffmpeg or libmp3lame, except maybe sharing
> a libdir.  The first run through was ./configure && make && sudo make
> install with the same errors.  The only difference between success and
> failure was whether or not I already had ffmpeg and libmp3lame installed.

By default, x264 looks for ffmpeg during configure.
This is to have ffmpeg's broad decoder functionality for x264cli, if
it's available.

You seemed to be primarily interested in libx264 and not x264cli so
using either of
--disable-lavf or --disable-cli would've sufficed in preventing your link error.
The former option preventing the linking against ffmpeg and the later
one preventing the building of x264cli.