[x264-devel] Encoding error only on some pictures

Jonathan Rosser jonathan.rosser at rd.bbc.co.uk
Tue Oct 16 12:01:23 CEST 2012

On 10/15/12 21:16, Jason Garrett-Glaser wrote:
> I've spent a few hours today trying to replicate the problem (I can't
> seem to get it to appear on my computer) and playing with
> sliced-threading VBV modifications to try to improve its efficiency
> yet again (all to failure as usual).  I don't think this is an
> 'encoding error' per se, in that the bitstream is valid, but rather a
> row of the image ended up with extremely low quality because of a
> failure of ratecontrol.

Interesting that you could not reproduce it.

We've tried on a couple of different Ubuntu 12.04 x86_64 machines this
morning, and also on 32 bit windows. The artefact was present in all
cases, seeming to be visible on about 50% of the resulting pictures in a
sequence of 50.

I wonder what is causing your test to be OK? I can upload our .so
somewhere if that helps pin down some build or platform specific thing...

Regards,
Jonathan.