[x264-devel] x264 and DSP or FPGA

Georg Lippitsch georg.lippitsch at gmx.at
Thu Sep 6 14:38:05 CEST 2012

Hi,

there has been a discussion about x264 accelerated by FPGA or DSPs some
years ago, but I have not found any updates since then.

Would it be possible (and also make sense) to port some of the x264
functions to a DSP or FPGA and gain some speed with that? If so, how much
amount of work would that be?

I know that x264 is better than any hardware encoder on a PC, but how on
embedded platforms like ARM?
What I actually want to achieve is a decent h.264 encoding on a device
using only around 10W electrical power. Is there some room for
optimization in such a case using dedicated hardware?

Thanks!

Georg