[x264-devel] flash player and intra-refresh, connecting to a already present stream not working.

Badri Gopalan badri_p_gopalan at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 21 22:35:44 CEST 2013

> This is definitely a viable concern. It is still possible to create such
> video stream. Our choice was to sacrifice the (momentary) sharpness. In our
> experiments, the video quality was restored after the second frame, so what
> we did on the receiving side was simply to skip rendering of the first
> frame in each GOP.

thanks, it was helpful. However, my problems in using flashplayer with intra-refresh flow still exist because:
- I use flashplayer and don't seem to have flexibility in controlling its h264 decoder for now to accomplish what you have described above.
  If it can be done, I would love to know and don't mind digging into flashplayer code.
- If I were to use some mechanism to introduce full keyframes in an intra-refreshed stream (I still have to discover what the options are to do so:
  perhaps scenecut needs to be turned on, which is currently turned off since I am using the ultrafast preset), it still concerns me that the
  original premise of using intra refresh and VBV to cap the max size of the frame is weakened if I have to insert full keyframes. This may get
  flash to work, but its not clear to me that there is a benefit any more, so it may not be useful at all to use intra-refresh with flash. But I dont mind
  trying it out and experimenting.

So my questions still stand:
- In flashplayer is there any mechanism to play an intra-refresh stream without inserting keyframes ? This would be an ideal solution.
  If its not possible, thats ok.
- How to insert keyframes in an intra-refresh'ed stream ? This I can look around and try to figure out myself. I did see some code
  in the x264 to insert keyframes on scenecuts. But if someone knows offhand, that would be great.
- Is there any other recommended way to play this in a browser  which others have pursued  and which is cross-platform
   compatible ? A java applet ? (I briefly looked at the vlc plugin but it didnt work too well for me)

Thanks again !
Bgpl