[x264-devel] cross-compile libx264 failure

Steven Walters kemuri9 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 12 17:13:44 CEST 2013

On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 10:27 AM, 董 瑞涛 <donreason at gmail.com> wrote:

> HI,
>
> when I cross-compile libx264, there are some error.  I have to changed the
> MakeFile to proceed:
>
> 1. add a space after each $(LD) and $(AR)
> 2. add "-r" after each $(AR)
> 3. delete $@ after each $(LD)
>
> when make, I cannot use LD=/dir/powerpc-linux-ld, but only
> LD=/dir/powerpc-linux-gcc. Or other wise it cannot pass.
> here is the message, will someone help me?
>
> #./configure --enable-static --host=ppc-linux --disable-asm
> --prefix=/usr/local/powerpc-none-linux-gnuspe
> platform:      PPC
> system:        LINUX
> cli:           yes
> libx264:       internal
> shared:        no
> static:        yes
> asm:           no
> interlaced:    yes
> avs:           avxsynth
> lavf:          no
> ffms:          no
> gpac:          no
> gpl:           yes
> thread:        posix
> opencl:        yes
> filters:       crop select_every
> debug:         no
> gprof:         no
> strip:         no
> PIC:           no
> visualize:     no
> bit depth:     8
> chroma format: all
>
> #make
> CC=/usr/local/powerpc-none-linux-gnuspe/bin/powerpc-none-linux-gnuspe-gcc
> RANLIB=/usr/local/powerpc-none-linux-gnuspe/bin/powerpc-none-linux-gnuspe-ranlib
> LD=/usr/local/powerpc-none-linux-gnuspe/bin/powerpc-none-linux-gnuspe-ld
> AR=/usr/local/powerpc-none-linux-gnuspe/bin/powerpc-none-linux-gnuspe-ar
> STRIP=/usr/local/powerpc-none-linux-gnuspe/bin/powerpc-none-linux-gnuspe-strip

You should not be specifying any of CC, RANLIB, LD, AR, or STRIP to make.
this would explain why you're encountering the errors you've listed above
to where you're modifying the makefile to work around them.

Utilize the --cross-prefix option in ./configure

since gcc is used to link with by default in this fashion as well, you are
likely to no longer encounter the link issues you've listed as well.