[x264-devel] Bug (or bugs) in x264 rev 2334 OpenCL and one improvement proposal.

Nihil nihil at nihil.nu
Wed Jun 12 09:23:16 CEST 2013

 >> So which leaves adding OpenCL support on -p 2 and -p 3.
 >
 >Multi-pass encoding performs the lookahead on the first pass; the
 >lookahead doesn't run on the second pass, so there would be nothing
 >for OpenCL to do.

Well this is my bad, I wasn't expressing myself clearly. What my
improvement proposal kept in it and what I was thinking but not
explaining obviously is following.

To expand OpenCL and GPU usage for all possible work areas not just
lookahead. After all OpenCL & GPU's are used for Bitcoin mining,
password cracking, in heavy industry for making strength assessment, in
supercomputers etc. So in sense like SMP work would be divided between
CPU and GPU where some of the frames are processed in CPU and others in GPU.

How many actually do something else which needs GPU while encoding
videos? For example me, video encoding is only thing I do at that
moment, even --threads 8 I usually use tells something which is that CPU
is 99% utilized but GPU utilization is 0%.

I know that there is limitations what GPU's can do and bandwidth between
main memory and GPU memory slows things down etc etc. But I have wishful
thinking that there is some operations which can be speed up with using
GPU's other than just lookahead.

Anyway thank you about reading my rant and giving reasonable answers.