[x264-devel] Google presentation on IETF on VP8 vs x264

Sean Cassidy scassidy at llnw.com
Sat Mar 16 20:44:11 CET 2013

I thought people on this list might be interested in the analysis I
did comparing VP8 and H.264 Baseline and High profile as part of my
thesis work.

http://blog.existentialize.com/h264-and-vp8-compared.html

This is only a subset of the issues I addressed in my thesis, but I
think it's still relevant. Basically, VP8 does rather well on low
resolution videos, even compared with H.264 High profile, but not as
good as H.264 High profile on higher resolution videos. VP8's loop
encoder and filters are good, as are its non-contiguous macroblock
segment grouping, but the small number of possible segments (4) limit
its high resolution potential.

Let me know if you have any feedback or comments.

Thanks,
Sean