[x264-devel] missing option to control matrix used for RGB to YUV conversion, forced Rec.601

VirtualTT de virtualtt at live.com
Mon May 6 21:31:11 CEST 2013

I'm using x264 0.130.2273 and encounter the following problem:
If input is RGB then automatic conversion to YUV will be performed using
Rec.601 matrix, even for HD sources. Since most of the decoders/players
assume Rec.709 for HD videos (ignoring all the playback hints such
as --transfer or --colormatrix) output will be incorrect.
I found this old patch
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.x264.devel/3408/ dealing among
other things with TV/PC scale and colorspace conversion. There is already an
option to control the input range (--input-range) so it would be nice to be
able to control control matrix used for RGB to YUV conversion as well or at
least have Rec.709 applied to HD videos by default.
Right now I'm using manual conversion with avisynth as workaround.