[x264-devel] VBV-maxrate and VBV-bufsize

Karthick Kumar karthik1990r at gmail.com
Wed May 15 16:31:58 CEST 2013

Suppose 100 yuv frames are to be encoded using x264 and vbv-maxrate =
500kbps, vbv-bufsize = 1000kb, fps = 25. How x264 would assign frame size
for each frame with respect to those vbv parameters. Will it try to
restrict the output bit-rate to vbv-maxrate or restrict each frame size
to vbv-bufsize(even if the bit-rate exceeds the vbv-maxrate).

The above question arised because:
The bandwidth for my application with vbv-maxrate = vbv-bufsize, is
sometimes more than the vbv-maxrate. So I need to reduce vbv-bufsize by
25%,to make sure that the bandwidth doesn/t exceed vbv-max rate.

Thanks in advance,
Karthick.