[x264-devel] Does X264 Profile at level has limitation on max-resolution?

YIRAN LI mrfun.china at gmail.com
Mon May 27 07:42:46 CEST 2013

Hi guys,

I'm writing application converting videos to specific H.264 Profile and
level.

As I know every level has max frame size (macro blocks) and max decoding
speed.

So I need to guarantee frame_size * fps of my input video shouldn't exceed
the max decoding speed.

What I want to know is, how if I supply a video that has a higher bitrate
than the specified level.

Will X264 encoder resize video frames (make them smaller) or limit fps? I
guess X264 will not do this kind of process and I need to do it myself
before encode starts. just want to get some confirm here. Thanks!