[x264-devel] region of interest coding on a per macroblock basis... can it be done?

Yang Guo yangguo47 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 20:20:50 CET 2013

Hi x264 folks,

I am looking to encode a frame with "region of interest (ROI)" coding.  The
idea is that I have a frame in which I know that certain regions (for
example, the center) are more likely to be the subject of interest relative
to other regions (ex: the sides).  Therefore, the ROI should receive
greater number of bits.

My thought was to use different quantization stepsize (QP) per macroblock.
Moreover, I would like to specify a different ROI for each frame.  How can
this be achieved with x264?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Yang