[x264-devel] Specifications for x264 encoding pc

Diederick Huijbers ☾ diederick at apollomedia.nl
Wed Sep 18 14:26:59 CEST 2013

Hi x264-list!

I'm working on a project where I'm encoding a raw YUV420P live
video stream and send this to a Flash Media Server.  I need to
encode the stream in 3 different qualities, HD, SD and <SD
(from a real time stream).

I'm looking into specs for an encoding pc which will be used solely for
the purpose of encoding these streams.  I'll use opengl + a YUV420p
shader to scale/convert the raw data so I can directly feed it into
3 x264 instances.

On #x264 @ freenode, I was advised to use intel processors; but
I'm wondering if someone on this list can give me more information
about what specs I would need for these 3 real time stream, and who
has experience in producing 3 (or maybe more) streams in real time
with x264.

I'm looking for things like:

- what processor
- how many cores
- how many ram,
- hard disks
- gpu (I'm thinking about a nvidia GTX 680/670).

Best and thanks
roxlu