[x264-devel] Idea for rate control.

Николай Рыжков namezys.work at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 23:26:34 CET 2014

Hello.

My idea is using for encode video for streaming.
When I prepare video for streaming I have bandwidth limition. Its limit is strong and average bitrate can’t be more than it.
In other hand I want to prepare video with same quality.
If I use bitrate control I get video with different quality. Usual the quality if whole video is quality of worst part of it. And if we have bad quality part spend all available bitrate for other part of video isn’t necessary.
My idea is use CRF for reduce bitrate with general bitrate control. While encoding with average bitrate we can calculate CRF and decrease bitrate and quality is CRF became less than given.
For example, then I prepare HD video CRF=20..22 is enough for me. But I encode with bitrate 5Mb. I understand that sometime 5Mb is more than necessary and bitrate may be reduced. But I can’t of it for different part of video.

In addition we can calculate CRF while 1 pass and use value nearly max CRF for limit bitrate at 2nd pass.

What are thinking about this idea?

Nikolai Ryzhkov, iviru