[x264-devel] x264 questions

Ryan Bauer r.bauer234 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 14 18:37:22 CET 2015

Hello Everybody,

I have recently started working with x264 for a streaming application. I do
have some questions about latency and how to stream using a traditional
socket.

The parameters I currently have setup for my x264 encoder are as follows:

x264_param_default_preset(&parameters, "veryfast", "zerolatency");
parameters.i_log_level = X264_LOG_INFO;
parameters.i_threads = 2;
parameters.i_width = 1600;
parameters.i_height = 900;
parameters.i_keyint_max = 60;
parameters.b_intra_refresh = 1;
parameters.rc.i_rc_method = X264_RC_CRF;
parameters.rc.f_rf_constant = 24;
parameters.rc.f_rf_constant_max = 35;
parameters.i_sps_id = 7;

parameters.b_repeat_headers = 1;    // to get header before every I-Frame
parameters.b_annexb = 1; // put start code in front of nal. we will remove
start code later
x264_param_apply_profile(&parameters, "baseline");

encoder = x264_encoder_open(&parameters);
x264_picture_alloc(&picture_in, X264_CSP_I420, parameters.i_width,
parameters.i_height);
picture_in.i_type = X264_TYPE_AUTO;
picture_in.img.i_csp = X264_CSP_I420;
picture_in.img.i_plane = 4;

Is there anything about these parameters that could be changed to help
reduce latency?

Is it possible to stream nal units using traditional UDP sockets? I would
assume it is just a matter of using the payload and length properties,
granted there is a lot more to it. I am currently using Live555 to stream,
but I am just curious if it is possible using other means.

I appreciate any help.