[x264-devel] how to get optimal thread number

Alex Cohn alexcohn at netvision.net.il
Sun Nov 8 13:27:57 CET 2015

X264_THREADS_AUTO setting is only good if video encoding is the only
important thing your device does. There may be other activity going on
in your CPU. For example, video chat applications must reserve some
resources for the down-channel, decoding the video stream, displaying
everything, and also dealing with audio. In our case, these
considerations resulted in dedicating 2 threads to x264 and only one
for the decoder.

But your mileage may vary.

Cheers,
Alex