[x264-devel] question regading encoded keyframe size at 720p

Carl Petersen cpetersen at broadsoft.com
Thu Oct 15 14:51:11 CEST 2015

Hi Henrik,

Yes. Vbv buffer size is 2000 and vbv max_rate is 1024. About a year ago
buffer size was 350 and it was increased to 2000. I have a basic
understanding of how vbv works but I still can't grasp on what values to
choose for our application. 350 was too low. There were frequent artifacts
that seemed to correspond to keyframes. Increasing it to 2000 alleviated the
problem but I still cant fully comprehend the impact of that. I can sort of
appreciate that it can increase keyframe size. What I don’t understand is
why 350 was too low. Was that vbv overflow? And I don’t know what value to
pick for vbv buffer size.