[x264-devel] x264 build problem under Mac OS X El Capitan

桃源老師 xanadu6291 at dream.jp
Fri Apr 15 23:53:12 CEST 2016

> 2016/04/16 4:19 A.M. BugMaster <BugMaster <at> narod.ru> wrote:
>
> On Sat, 16 Apr 2016 02:57:57 +0900, 桃源老師 wrote:
>
>> The error is:
>> error: Could not read profile default.profdata: No such file or directory
>
>> I checked x264 source directory and found there are a file named
>> "default.profraw".  This file is created under Mac OS X El Capitan only.
>

>> After this error, I can generate the file "default.profdata" using the following command:
>> $ xcrun llvm-profdata merge -output=default.profdata default.profraw
>
>> And I can build x264 successfully by running make fprofiled again.
>
>> But in my think, this procedure is irregular.  The error should not be occurred.  Am I right?
>

> Hi. IMHO currently we don't support fprofiled builds with clang (XCode).
> We only support use of -fprofile-generate/-fprofile-use options with gcc/clang.

My meaning of "make fprofiled" is run the command such as:
$ make fprofiled VIDS="sintel_trailer_2k_480p24.y4m"

And quoted line of error in previous post is the process/result of above command.  I'm not running gcc command itself.

Do you mean build of this way is not supported with clang?

> But according to http://clang.llvm.org/docs/UsersManual.html#profiling-with-instrumentation <http://clang.llvm.org/docs/UsersManual.html#profiling-with-instrumentation>
> while clang supports this options they looks like don't really equivalent to their GCC
> counterparts. As it looks like they still need intermediate step for converting profiling
> data format:
> llvm-profdata merge -output=default.profdata default.profraw

So you think this intermediate step for converting profiling data format is required to build x264 under El Capitan?

Or should I claim this to llvm support team?

> As for why it worked in older versions of Mac OS X, than may be used another version of clang
> that simply ignored (not supported) -fprofile-generate/-fprofile-use options. Or old versions
> more correctly mimicked gcc behaviour and new versions broke this for some reason.

Yes the older version of Mac OS X uses older version of clang.  I don't know much about clang, me too don't know the reason.

Best Regards,

// Miya aka. TougenRoushi