[x264-devel] Getting the quantization stepsize (not QP)

Eymen Kurdoglu eymenkurdoglu at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 18:31:48 CET 2016

Hi all,

Is there a way to get the mean value of the quantization stepsize (QS) used
in a frame, instead of the mean value of the QP used (which is the one that
the debug log outputs)? Due to the non-linear mapping between the
quantization stepsize and the QP, finding the QS equivalent of the mean QP
is not equal to the actual mean value of the QS.

I would appreciate it if someone can direct me to the part of the code that
might change this.

Here are the specific settings I'm using in my app.
High profile, veryfast, zerolatency, single thread, no scene-cuts, no
weighted prediction and the RC parameters are:
param.rc.i_rc_method = X264_RC_ABR;
param.rc.i_bitrate = i_target;
param.rc.i_vbv_max_bitrate = param.rc.i_bitrate;
param.rc.i_vbv_buffer_size = param.rc.i_bitrate/10;

Thanks a lot, and have a nice day!

Eymen