[x264-devel] Performance loss of x.264 codec on POWER

Janne Grunau janne-x264 at jannau.net
Wed Jan 20 09:30:16 CET 2016

Hi,

On 2016-01-20 12:46:50 +0530, Priya Duggirala wrote:

> Performance of x.264 codec with FFmpeg on ppc64le is 30%-50% slower than on
> x86(Intel). This is in contrast to what is expected on Power8/LE. The x264
> codec needs to be further optimized for Power8/LE as there is signification
> performance degradation on POWER.

I wouldn't call missing optimizations for a specific architecture
performance degradation. x264 on x86 is one of the library with the
largest amount of CPU specific handwritten/optimized ASM. The dominance
of x86 as main computer architecture (safe bet that every x264 developer
uses it as workstation/notebook) is the main reason for that and no x264
developer owns or has access to a Power8 machine. Everyone who cares
about x264's performance for business reasons uses x86 too.

I see that your input is already a h264 video. You'll see that
libavcodec's h264 decoder shows the same performance "degradation" (for
the same reasons). Optimizing open source multimedia software for ppc
got out of fashion after Apple switched to x86 and none of the
developers used PPC in their everyday computers.

I can understand that you don't like that but given the current
availability of Power8 under multimedia developers I don't think that it
is going to change anytime soon.

cheers

Janne