[x264-devel] x264 level for 1080i content

Weasel Friend weasel5234 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 12:13:04 CEST 2016

Hi,

today I tried to encode interlaced content with 1920x1080 and 4Mbps and was
wondering why x264 auto detects level 5.2 for it. When doing the same
settings but with progressive output the level is detected as 5.0. As of my
understanding DPB should not be affected by interlaced content?

x264 command I used:
x264 - --demuxer y4m --profile main --preset slow --bitrate 4000 --bff
--output video.h264

Relevant output with --bff
y4m [info]: 1920x1080i 1:1 @ 2997/100 fps (cfr)
x264 [warning]: interlace + weightp is not implemented
x264 [warning]: interlaced (1) > level limit (0)
x264 [info]: profile Main, level 5.2

Relevant output without --bff
y4m [info]: 1920x1080p 1:1 @ 2997/100 fps (cfr)
x264 [info]: profile Main, level 5.0

I know I can restrict the level to 5.0 but I am curious if there are any
additional level requirements for interlaced content that I missed?

Thanks