[x264-devel] One question about two-pass rate control in x264

qw applemax82 at 163.com
Wed May 11 14:29:21 CEST 2016

Hi,

I want to use mb tree, and use two pass to encode video sequence. However, I must encode video sequence twice, i.e. one for 1st pas and the other for 2nd pass.

There are many commercial h264 encoder, where video sequence is encoded only once with two-pass option. It seems redundant that video sequence is encoded twice for x264 encoder.

If I change x264 source code, so that video sequence is encoded only once with two-pass option like other commercial encoder, is there larger memory cost or big change in x264 algorithm?

Thanks!

B.R.

Andrew