[x264-devel] Optimized multiple rendition encoding

Eran Kornblau eran.kornblau at kaltura.com
Fri Nov 11 22:23:39 CET 2016

Hi all,

(I apologize if this has been asked before, tried to google about it and found nothing...)

My question is - is it possible to encode several different renditions of the same video so that the knowledge
gained while encoding one rendition will be used to boost the encoding time of another rendition?
For example, first encode a 4mpbs/1080p rendition, then encode a 2.5mbps/720p rendition faster thanks
to the work performed on the first rendition.

>From my limited knowledge on the subject, as I understand, the calculation of the motion vectors is the most
computationally intensive part of the encoding. And the motion vectors are probably the same for different
bitrates of the same resolution. So it should (at least in theory) be possible to reuse them to generate different
bitrates more efficiently.
For different resolutions, it may be possible to scale the motion vectors, though I'm not sure that would
provide adequate results.

Any info you can share on this will be appreciated

Thank you!

Eran